Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Trying to set up blogs for my classes: the challenge of coordinating!

So, this is a technological experiment. I'm teaching two classes for which I've asked each student to keep a blog rather than writing regular journals or traditional essays. The learning curve is about how to coordinate all these blogs, especially across several different blogging platforms. I was more familiar with blogger/blogspot and wordpress, but a lot of students are using tumblr, too. Tumblr has beautiful graphic style, but we're still trying to figure out how (and if) one can enable comments, and how someone can "follow" if you're not a blogger on the same system. So just a few technical hills to climb on that.

But the blogs are looking great, and as long as everyone keeps up and doesn't forget to blog a couple of times a week (hint hint!), I think this is going to be a very cool complement to our classroom discussions.

Also, in my senior seminar, we have a Facebook page called Spread That New New Media that we're using to cross-promote and coordinate the blogs. It's a good place to start exploring this class, which is focusing on Social and Spreadable Media.



Instead of my having a blog for each class, I'll use this blog as a connector for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment